Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Home Sweet Home?

We moved in on July 7. We were so excited, overwhelmed and ready to be under on roof again. That day we realized our kitchen sink would not drain. Everything else was going great, except our kitchen sink. There were things here and there we noticed that we didn't catch the other times we were in the house like a few places of molding missing, some places on the decks that need to be fixed, etc, but all of that we were semi-prepared for. The kitchen sink was the biggest problem it seemed.

We called a plumber the next day and had him take a look under the house to see what the heck was going on. He said it appeared that someone very stupid installed a disposal and since they were not knowledgeable enough to flip the disposal the right direction for the pipe they installed their own pipe that was not vented. Thus, making our sink not drain and our dishwasher back up into our sink... headache. Well, we had the home warranty and this plumber said it would cost $60 to fix it. He climbed under the house to be sure that was the only issue and came up saying, "That is the worst plumbing I've ever seen...." Um, what?! What does that mean?
He said it was cheap pipe, sliced together wrong, not bracketed to the house, etc. (Sounds terrible to me) So I panic. $60 is the same price to have the home warranty come out also and there were a few other very minor things that needed fixing, I figured hey, let's use the home warranty and maybe they'll take care of this 'worst pipe we've ever seen' situation too.

Well, bring on one of the grumpiest plumbers I've EVER met, a 10-minute glance at my house and America Home Shield denied our claim saying that this should have been caught by a home inspector, thus they were not fixing anything. Anyone surprised?

I was VERY upset about this for a day or so until I talked to N's nanny who explained to me that the devil was trying to get in. I had been telling EVERYONE how much our house was a God thing and just such a blessing and showing all the ways God has been talking to us through this process. After realizing this, I let it go. I was so thankful for this revelation because the next day at 3am I was getting up for Seattle. I did not want this stress choking me during my trip. I walked back into my house after that conversation declaring my house to be a house of the Lord, for him to take over my house and use it for his service.

Fast forward to returning home from Seattle. I decided to call the home inspector who did not catch any of these issues to ask him if he really even looked under our house (to which he says he did....), BUT he was apologetic and came back out to our house to check out the issue. He was nice considering I cried most of the conversation. After he came out and looked he told Ben that he would try to help us out with this issue and wanted to have his plumber come out also. We explained we were having our own out and he was fine with that, just asked that we call once we get an estimate to repair all the plumbing under the house. (I was really starting to feel God working through this issue.)

Well then we had Lowe's come to deliver our refrigerator and they backed over our sprinkler system hub and busted a water line... we didn't notice for about 2 hours until our yard was a flood. Keep in mind, I had asked the Lord to take over my house and get the devil out, I didn't mention my yard, lol! Apparently that was as close as the devil could get.

Funny thing - our plumber pulled in about 20 minutes after we noticed it because he was coming to give us an estimate. How often does that happen. This was all way after 5pm too. So, Lowe's is going to pay him what it cost for him to repair our water line, and he will fix ALL of our plumbing under the whole house for $1500, with the inspector paying half. While this is A LOT of money, I am thankful it is not 5 times this considering there is a lot of pipe to be repaired.

All of this could be a MILLION times worse. I just praise the Lord for working every step of the way through this whole purchase.

We still have a lot to do to make this house our own, but things are coming together! Can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for us.

1 comment:

  1. Girl! So glad things were okay in the end! Gosh! That is crazy! Glad y'all have a beautiful home now, though :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails