Sunday, February 21, 2010

And no-dairy equals 3

Several weeks ago I decided to change my diet and eliminate sugar and most carbs. I have to admit I have made quite a few mistakes, but I have come a LONG way. I had a few melt-downs which included a night of cookies... a day with Dunkin' Donuts (they are my favorite donuts ever and one JUST opened here in Birmingham... which led there to be donuts everywhere I looked for a few days). Anyways, I haven't seen much of a difference in my skin.

As we speak it is as awful as it has ever been.

So I started googling again. I have a friend (who doesn't have PCOS to the best of my knowledge) who has cut wheat (gluten) from her diet because of acne and her skin looks amazing. She started it over 2 months ago and when I saw her yesterday her skin was perfect!

Something I am doing is still making my skin awful. While googling, I came upon some information linking milk, PCOS and acne. Here is a fun quote for you:

"Milk is designed to make things grow. Human beings are the only animal to continue to drink milk beyond infancy, and it is not even the milk of our own species.Young growing humans need milk from pregnant cows just as much as young growing cows need milk from pregnant humans - not at all.”

Hmm.... okay... but anyways, more than one article stated that the hormones in milk (from pregnant cows) cause hormones in those with PCOS to go crazy.

So, not only is a low-carb, no-sugar diet recommended, but also add no-dairy to it. This may make sense since my go-to treat has been this Kashi cereal that is made from wholesome ingredients, but still makes me feel like I'm eating something sweet... I've definitely been drinking milk, eating yogurt and you can't leave out the cheese!

Well, I'm now running pretty low on options, I am not much of a meat eater as you may know. I didn't eat ANY meat until I was 19 or so, but now eat Chicken and some occasional turkey. If I eliminate all dairy, carbs & sugar... that means I will be eating a form of chicken and a veggie/fruit for every meal. Which doesn't sound too bad written out, but in my mind it seems very difficult, since I don't even cook chicken. I have to beg Ben to have a 'cleaning chicken' day and get all the gross fat, tendons, veins, ick.... off of it and then package it up in little baggies so I can just pour it in the pan when ready.

It looks like the more I research, the more I'm being pushed into this diet that one of my blogging friends, Tiffany, is currently tackling. She explained that it is a 'hunter-gatherer' diet to eliminate processed foods and things that may make your blood sugar & insulin spike.

I am so not a hunter or a gatherer....

So now.... what is the next step? Eliminate dairy? Wheat? Both?

3 comments:

  1. i have endo and after many years of getting advice to eliminate wheat, it took a cysts and surgery to get my attention. it was hard to give up wheat, but much easier to give up dairy and sugar after that. i think the first one is the doozy. i have always had major cramps but since losing wheat i haven't had one. keep focused, you won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just start small. Maybe pick something that you normally eat in a day and replace it with something else. Do you like eggs? The PCOS diet has a lot of eggs in it for protein, oh and nuts are ok too in moderation. Lots of variations on salads. Do you like tuna? I put a little bit of that on a salad with yummy veggies and few nuts and it makes a great lunch. Let me know if you need any help :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Dunkin Donuts girl too! They were everywhere growing up in Arizona, and then Krispy Kreme almost pushed them out (I do not like Krispy Kreme!) Then I moved up here and it didn't matter, because there aren't any donut chains at all... Sad!

    And the dietary changes are hard. I've been told I should give up Dairy too, but when I did I still wound up needing surgery again 5 months later. I lost hope and gave up. I just like cheese too much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails