Monday, August 22, 2011

Baby Handprints... seriously?!



Everyone has seen those precious baby hand prints stamped on canvases, mugs, t-shirts... right? They look like that above.

Well, my question is, who is able to capture this and more importantly HOW?!

Ben so lovingly bought me a baby book for our anniversary (4 year was fabric and the book has a fabric cover, pretty creative!). In this book are two pages that have been haunting me for over 6 weeks now: Handprints and Footprints.

I definitely want to capture these precious hands and feet and remember how tiny they are, but I haven't exactly known how. I also knew I wanted them on the wall in some way too.



So, this week I made a trip to Michael's and bought my supplies: 4 canvases, blue, green, brown, orange and non-toxic white crayola paint for his hands and feet.

I carefully painted each canvas and gave them ample time to dry...

Then I waited and waited until Noah fell asleep and was moveable, which I thought would be the best time. You agree right?

Wrong...

This was the best of one of our attempts... Seriously, most of them looked like a smashed blob of paint. And then poor Noah looked like this:



Look carefully and yes, there is paint (non-toxic!) on his face, clothes, arms, hands, bouncer....ugh!

Well, two days, three tries, several repainted canvases, a few tears and one freakout at Ben when he tried to leave me alone with a painted baby later:


We have one, albeit, sloppy hand print.

The thing that worked out pretty well though, was the footprint:

This also took a few attempts, which is why one is lighter than the other and I had to repaint this canvas several times, BUT... we have two feet! And a left and a right one at that!

We still have another attempt to capture that right hand... let's hope its soon enough that its not significantly larger than the left one already on the canvas. I may be a professional when this is all said and done.


And a few pictures from this week:






I love him :)

2 comments:

  1. LOL Sounds like you have done all that you can do, outside of just accepting it won't be perfect. You will look back on day and laugh at the non-perfect handprints and love the smeared print more than you can fathom because you won't be able to remember him being so tiny. I think they look perfect, even with the imperfections! Although I totally know the feeling...I am a perfectionist when it comes to that and have had several of those "Seriously?" moments. LOL Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, he is so perfect!! And I'm thinking you did pretty good with those feet!! Hands are overrated anyhow! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails